All content © 2012 L.Tranter & Son Website by Russ James Design
The early days saw our horse drawn carriages used for many different duties including house removals and the haulage of coal and passenger transport, but it was the magnificent sight of the Belgian Black horses pulling the hearses and mourner’s carriages that the business was best known for. In 1926 at the age of 14, the third generation, Horace Tranter, who had qualified as a motor mechanic, joined his father and grandfather in the business and almost immediately opened a motor repair garage and cycle shop in Church Street, St Georges.
By the end of the 1930s motor vehicles had completely replaced the horse drawn carriages, so the stables in Chapel St where the horses had been kept were closed. John Tranter joined father Horace and grand-father Leonard on a full time basis in 1956 and began to concentrate on the funeral business.
Having closed the Church Street garage and relocated the cycle shop to West Street, John’s tasks included driving the private hire vehicles, selling and repairing bicycles and acting as a chauffeur and bearer.
By 1967 John, who was soon to be joined by wife Patricia, had begun to offer a complete funeral service to the residents of Telford New Town. During the 1970s L Tranter & Son acquired A T Thompson Funeral Director of Trench and A Bailey Funeral Directors of Belmont Road, Ironbridge (Bailey & Tranter).
By the late 80s with the expanding business requiring more space, the decision was taken to close the cycle shop and begin the transformation of what has since become a modern all purpose funeral home.
Symon Tranter joined his parents in the business on a full time basis in 1988 and subsequently took over the day to day management in 1995 when his mother Patricia retired.
In 1996 the business of Ken Evans Funeral Directors of Newport (Evans & Tranter) was acquired and a second office under the name of this business was opened in November 2000.